Monday, November 26, 2012

Blogger Photo Limit


This is a repost from the holiday weekend - a lot of people emailed  me about it, hopefully it helps! (my little PSA)

If you're like me, you enjoy attaching pictures to your blog posts.  And in the two years that I've been blogging, I've probably filled the internet with more photos of me & my family than actual insightful thoughts.  But recently, when trying to attach a photo to a blog, I got this message where the photo usually pops up ...

... and if you're a Blogger user, eventually it will happen to you too.  It basically informed me that I had used up the 1GB of free picture space allowed by Blogger through their photo storage company, Picasa Web Albums, and that additional storage space was available for a monthly fee.  When I got this message, I was pretty bummed and was hoping there were other ways to post pictures to a blog other than through Blogger's process.  Fortunately ... there is ... and it's easy!

I created a free account with Photobucket.com where my photos can be stored, enhanced with a free built in photo editor, and then posted to my blog.  (I'm pretty sure the same thing can be accomplished with Flickr, Snapfish, Shutterfly, etc.)  This adds a step or two to the whole attaching a photo process - but it's really not that big of a deal.  Plus, I believe the storage space on Photobucket is unlimited so you shouldn't run into this issue again.

Here are a few examples of what you can do with Photobucket's photo editor.  It's just basically the same free effects such as decorative borders, aging effects, and added text that you'll find on Instagram, Fotoflexer, Pixlr, Lunapic, etc., but it's pretty cool having it available right there with your photos.


Also, I've read several internet articles that say if you keep your photos below 800 pixels on any side, Picasa Web Albums will store it, but not count it against your 1GB of free storage.  I haven't confirmed this, but this would mean that if you just reduce the size of your pictures a little before posting, they shouldn't be a problem.

Just thought this might be helpful ... have a great week!
... be great today!

7 comments:

  1. Very cool!!! and good to know! hasn't happened to me yet...but i am sure it's coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I got that message a while back, I just decided to upgrade to the 25GB storage, since I think it was only $5/year. Just seemed easier than figuring something else out.

    Yea, if your a Chiefs fan I feel your pain about missing out on Luck! I thought you guys were going to win on Sunday the way the game was going, but you just didn't make enough plays. Yea, I actually think the Chiefs are going 1-15, but hopefully I'm wrong! Best change at a victory is against the Panthers or Raiders. Teo of ND may be a little overrated, I bet you will end up choosing someone else with maybe more pure explosive ability on defense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This totally happened to me about a month ago. Since I have been making blog books through Blurb I have a hard bound book of my blog for 2008, 2009, and I just completed 2010 and it is on its way. So my daughter taught me how to go in there and delete photos from picasa and old posts and it freed up a lot of space. I need to get busy again and make 2011 and 2012 too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was too lazy. I just paid the 5 bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Question:so if we go the photobucket route, how do you upload the picture in the blog post? I'm so computer illiterate, I'm surprised I was even able to start a blog, so this is totally throwing me for a loop! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never got the message. It simply doesn't have an option for me to upload from my computer. I don't think the 'under 800 pixels' is true because I usually have mine 600 pixels on the longest side.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ... your comment's always welcome!