Thursday, November 22, 2012

Blogger Photo Limit

If you're like me, you enjoy attaching pictures to your blog posts.  And in the two years that I've been blogging, I've probably filled the internet with more photos of me & my family than actual insightful thoughts.  But recently, when trying to attach a photo to a blog, I got this message where the photo usually pops up ...

... and if you're a Blogger user, eventually it will happen to you too.  It basically informed me that I had used up the 1GB of free picture space allowed by Blogger through their photo storage company, Picasa Web Albums, and that additional storage space was available for a monthly fee.  When I got this message, I was pretty bummed and was hoping there were other ways to post pictures to a blog other than through Blogger's process.  Fortunately ... there is ... and it's easy!

I created a free account with Photobucket.com where my photos can be stored, enhanced with a free built in photo editor, and then posted to my blog.  (I'm pretty sure the same thing can be accomplished with Flickr, Snapfish, Shutterfly, etc.)  This adds a step or two to the whole attaching a photo process - but it's really not that big of a deal.  Plus, I believe the storage space on Photobucket is unlimited so you shouldn't run into this issue again.

Here are a few examples of what you can do with Photobucket's photo editor.  It's just basically the same free effects such as decorative borders, aging effects, and added text that you'll find on Instagram, Fotoflexer, Pixlr, Lunapic, etc., but it's pretty cool having it available right there with your photos.


Also, I've read several internet articles that say if you keep your photos below 800 pixels on any side, Picasa Web Albums will store it, but not count it against your 1GB of free storage.  I haven't confirmed this, but this would mean that if you just reduce the size of your pictures a little before posting, they shouldn't be a problem.

Just thought this might be helpful ... have a great weekend!
... be great today!

8 comments:

  1. Thank for this! I've never had the problem and wondered why because I post lots of photos. I think your last paragraph might be the answer as I usually use 800x600 size photos. I will check out Photobucket for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info! I got this message a few months ago and now I just keep all my pictures under 800 pixels. It was frustrating when I first got the message but I've got it down now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really useful info. I hope, when I finally run out of space, that I'll remember who posted it and can find it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got this a couple years ago and when I asked the Blogland no one else seemed to have gotten it. I took the easy way and I pay a nominal fee once a year and it has worked out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep getting this message and then it goes away. It's so weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got this message tonight so your post could not have came at a better time! I remembered I had read this on your blog when it happened! Thanks! http://slowandsteadywin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got the message today...
    I did the same thing as you....
    great minds....blah blah blah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dang this just happened to me last week. Thanks for the photobucket tip....will do

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ... your comment's always welcome!