Sunday, March 10, 2013

You Might Wanna Verify My "Man Card"

I consider myself to be a pretty "manly" dude.  I won't go through the endless list of proof ... it would literally take days and days.  Well, at least 15 seconds.  But with the exception of being able to grow a decent beard, for the most part "manliness" is not my problem - ha.  That being said, there are a few things that I like to do that probably lean toward the fine arts or more feminine side.  Um, this is one of them ...

Framed 2011 Boston Marathon finisher medal
I can't remember now how or why I got into it, but years ago I taught myself how to "professionally" frame photos, art, and other things, like this ... my 2011 Boston Marathon finisher medal.  Michael wanted me to frame her Disney Coast-to-Coast medals, so this weekend while I had all the stuff out anyway, I also framed one of my favorite medals.  It's a 16" x 20" frame, triple matted with my medal, race bib, the 2011 embroidered patch that came in our race packet, and a likeness of my finisher certificate that was mailed to me by the Boston Athletic Association a few weeks after the race. (I'm color blind so Michael made sure the colors all matched up.)

I really don't frame "that" much stuff any more.  It takes a lot of time, patience, and precision.  But we have a ton of photos and art that I've framed around our house over the years.  We've even given framed photos of family and stuff like that as gifts a few times. It's literally saved us hundreds if not thousands of dollars.  I can professionally frame something at home for a fraction of what it would cost at a custom frame shop. I mean, I still have to pay for the materials and frame, but a custom framer would charge anywhere from $200-$350 for something like this.   And if I can brag on myself (why not, I do a lot anyway - ha), I can produce the same quality of finished project.

So anyway, I won't be watching "Say Yes To The Dress" anytime soon, or wearing one of those ridiculous scarves I see dudes around the Plaza wearing now days ... but I gotta admit, a few of the daintier qualities leak out of  me every now and then.  But don't laugh ... or I'll challenge you to something "manly"!
... be great today!

13 comments:

  1. That looks professional, and I have a keen eye for matting. In art school we were required to mat and mount all of our submissions without a matting table.So now I'm with you: I'll frame that thing myself, thank you very much! Although I certainly never undertook anything as complex as that. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great!

    If you went to art school you had to learn how to mount your photos and it is really hard. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think framing takes away any of your manliness. I always considered it to be in the manly field of jobs. After all it take tools like those cutty things and those nail wacky things that only men know the names to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very useful skill in a racing family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your Boston Marathon Frame!!!!!! It is fricken sweet!!! I so want that for when I get mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had things professionally framed, and you're right, they're an arm and a leg! You did a great job! Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. impressive stuff! I just bought a frame from aaron brothers, and then taped a picture and my bib number down onto the backing lol. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude. Never fear, you're all dude. This looks great. I am envious. Well done. And I cried at Terms of Endearment, love musicals, but use remote controls and love my electronics and football season and all of that. I also have a man-card, but it's in my wife's wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay seriously you totally have skills. I actually attempted this (shadow box frame) for my Boston memorabilia over the weekend and yours looks MUCH better.

    Now I'm going to go cry in a corner....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that looks fantastic!! I totally plan on displaying my Boston medal, bib, etc... in some way too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait, if you're color blind, then I'm a black lady.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice work Jim. Crap, if I knew how to do this my wife would go crazy since I'd put things up from my racing all over the home.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ... your comment's always welcome!