Monday, May 13, 2013

How To Wreck A Body In 7 Days

Pizza from Pearl Street Pizza in Indy
Mind your own business, it was delicious and I earned it.
I remember it like it was a week ago.  Yeah, there I was ... in great shape ... running faster than ever ... setting a new half-marathon PR!  Yes sir, those were the days.

Fast forward to this morning.  As I sit here writing this, I'm over-weight and sluggish, and running six miles on Saturday, and five miles on Sunday over the weekend ... well ... it just about killed me!.  It's seems a little surreal because just seven days ago I had trained for, planned out, and executed just about as good of a race as I can run at the Indy Mini-Marathon.  But immediately after that, this self-indulgent dummy went into total relaxation mode.  I didn't run at all the following week, had pizza twice and desert three times, and don't even mention core & ab work ... please ... it wasn't even a fleeting thought.  Basically I took the whole week off.

The break from running was by design.  (The crashed diet wasn't) I hadn't taken a week off in about a year, so it was a good time to rest my legs, and bask in the glory of my fastest running feat yet - ha.  But this week I'm back at it.  I'll start slowly building to another race and attempting to get my diet in check again.  But it's not gonna be easy.  Did I totally ruin my body and everything I had worked for in a week?  Not completely, of course.  But the older I get, it's amazing how long it takes to get into shape versus how quickly it goes away.  

So here I go again ... starting with planks in about 5 minutes.  Have a great week!
... be great today!

8 comments:

  1. We need weeks like that and they should include the "good food'. I think it's crucial for the next step in our training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a much-needed break to me. And your post-race metabolism probably just burned all that up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! The break was good mentally and physically. You work hard all year; enjoy the break and don't let yourself feel guilty about it. The fitness will come back faster than you think (not that you lost fitness in one week... you know what I mean).

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol sounds like you needed it, you'll be back to taking names soon enough haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so right. Take a week off in your 40s is like taking a month off in your 20s. Doesn't seem fair does it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least your break was only a week. Just imagine what it's like after 2 months. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ... your comment's always welcome!