Saturday, January 18, 2014

A Little Pink In My Running ... True Love!

Music ... I love rock, hard rock, harder rock, country, some rap, alternative, something called Nu-Metal, and a hodge-podge of other stuff.  But I'm really not a pop-music guy.  My wife is a pop-music aficionado.  And if we go to a live concert, it's usually something we both can live with.  Last year I passed on Lady Ga Ga and Maroon 5 (she went with her girlfriends), but took her up on Pink.  Pink seems pretty cool ... like she could handle herself in a tussle.  I'm about 96% certain that I was the only straight male in the arena that night. It was cool because I actually had heard of a few off her songs.  We had a great time!

As the concert was winding down, some stage crew approached me and asked me to move my coat I'd draped over the handrail in front of me.  They then proceeded to erect a steel-framed perch of sorts ... literally right next to me.  Michael leaned over and asked one of them if Pink was going to come right there to sing.  They didn't offer any suggestions, replying, "Well, that would ruin the surprise!"  But figured something was up.  When she sang her "Grand Finale" encore song ... I think it's called "So What" ... she flew around the arena on cables and eventually landed on the makeshift stand right next to me.  I literally could have touched her ... but didn't.  Here is a short clip of it I filmed with my iPhone at the concert ...


It was an awesome ending to a pretty cool concert.  But since that night, I've been humming all of these Pink songs in my head like I'm a 23 year old single woman or something.  What's wrong with me??? One of her current songs, "True Love" is Michael's favorite because it reminds her ... EXACTLY ... of our relationship.  Goes a little somethin' like this ...

True Love???
Sometimes I hate every single stupid word you say,
Sometimes I wanna slap you in your whole face,
There's no one quite like you, you push all my buttons down
I know life would suck without you ...

At the same time, I wanna hug you, I wanna wrap my hands around your neck,
You're an a--hole, but I love you, and you make me so mad I ask myself,
Why I'm still here, or where could I go, you're the only love I've ever known,
But I hate you, I really hate you, so much I think it must be ... True Love ... True Love

I know you think she's kidding.  She's not.  It's just "Michael & Jim".  Man, I love that woman!  But as I was listening to the song today on my 18 mile run, laughing at the words ... and the fact that I was listening to Pink while I was running ... I thought, "Man, this song really describes my relationship with running!"  I rarely "hate" it, but today I did.  It was windy.  I was tired.  I'm over-weight.  My legs hurt.  And I kept asking myself why I was even bothering.  But to be honest, I've never found anything else that makes me feel like running does.  And even though days like today cause me a lot of pain, I think it must be true love.

So yeah ... I'm 100% dude ... but I'm not too proud to admit I've downloaded my share of Pink songs.  My favorite is "Just Like A Pill".  And I can promise you without a doubt that if you meet me in person, I will NEVER own up to any of this ... and that this is the one and only post you'll ever see on this blog about Pink!  Have a great weekend!
... be great today!

11 comments:

  1. Best concert ever!! I saw it last year with my hubby as well and we both loved it. I am pretty jealous of you having been so close to her. I have all the albums and they make most of my running playlists. So if we meet, we'll make sure to talk about Pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a song that I heard a couple of times yesterday. I thought it was incredibly appropriate considering it was our wedding anniversary and there have been many times in our 28 years of marriage that I've wanted to wrap my hands around his neck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post cracks me up, and it's sooo true...of marriage and of my relationship with running (and biking).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet that was an awesome concert to go to! and that is so my relationship with running too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to fess up that I have some Pink songs on my running playlist too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P!nk is great to run to, so glad to hear I'm not the only one. Even Lady Ga Ga... oh and Taylor Swift "We are never ever getting back together" I sing that to my fat... LOL AWESOME POST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must admit I'm not big on music and shows. I don't do shows...that's it. My wife takes the kids sometimes but knows not to even ask me. I don't run with music and must be one of very few people who's car radio has never been on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok... I'll admit it too... another Pink! fan here... "raise your glass" is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband and I just saw PINK a couple of weeks here in Minneapolis. Great concert and he enjoyed it also. The encore was pretty cool. I love running to PINK and Lady GaGa also (saw her in concert too....also a great show, kind of weird, but great).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another straight dude that would totally go to a Pink concert. I imagine she could whoop me if we got in a fight! Looks like it was an awesome concert!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ... your comment's always welcome!