Thursday, March 13, 2014

Spring "A" Race Training

Not a bad run in 2012, but hopefully I'm faster now
Well, I guess it's time to get back down to business in the ol' training regimen.  After a somewhat disappointing  showing at the Little Rock Marathon, I have my Spring "A" Race coming up on April 26th, at the Garmin Half Marathon in Olathe, KS.  I really want to PR, but as of now ... I've got a TON of work to do.  Spring races for me have typically not been my strongest, so I'm gonna train my butt off, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I ran this race a couple of years ago and it's a fairly small field, with a fairly good PR course.  I only ran a 1:32 there in 2012, and I'm probably a little faster than that now.  But I'm not sure I'm faster than my half-marathon PR of 1:28:09 set last year at the Indy 500 Half Marathon.  That's a 6:40 average pace, and I have a feeling I'm probably a little too far out of shape to carry that for 13 miles.  But of course I'll give it my best shot!

This week was a pretty good start.  Even though I was a little under the weather with a rare ... and STUPID ... head cold, I managed three pretty good  workouts.

Sunday ... 10 mile Tempo Run, with 6 miles at a 6:45 pace, on a fairly tough hilly course.
Tuesday ... 9 mile Easy Run, but with two miles of one minute Pick-Ups at 5:15 pace
Thursday ... 8 mile Tempo Run, with 5 one mile repeats at 6:22 average pace, middle two miles were 6:10 each

I feel like I've probably got a decent base under my legs from the marathon training, and now all I have to do is increase my speed over the next 5 weeks or so.  It'll be tough, with a lot really fast runs ... but honestly, I really love this type of training!  Time to put the hammer down!!!  Have a great week.
... be great today!

1 comment:

  1. You definitely have gotten faster my friend. You work hard at your training and its showing. I see a PR for the Garmin Half Marathon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ... your comment's always welcome!