Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Closer To My 160 Summer Workout Index

I know I fall contrary to much of the running community with my love of running in the hot, muggy, sweat-drenched Midwest.  The majority of my running and triathlete friends would much rather train when the temps are in the 40's & 50's.  Granted, I would definitely prefer to race in those temps, but for good, hard, everyday training, I would much rather have it as hot and steamy as possible.

Starting line at the 2014 Rock The Parkway Half-Marathon
I've found that running is toughest in the summer months when the conditions reach what I refer to as my "160 Summer Workout Index" (there might be an actual meteorological name for it, but I don't know it).  That's when a combination of the actual temperature and relative humidity reach a total of 160.  For example, if it's 82 degrees, with a relative humidity of 85%, my "160 Summer Workout Index" would be 167.  When the combination is 160+, it gets real up here!  It's tough to breath.  I'm dripping with sweat from head to toe.  And a simple 10 mile run at my "Easy Pace" becomes an all-out workout.  But it seems that if I can grind through these conditions, race day in the Fall becomes much easier when the weather is much more ideal for running.

Today only totaled 152 (66 degrees, 86% humidity), which is getting close to the magical 160.  But it won't be long before every single morning is a veritable sauna.  And hopefully maintaining my paces through the tough Summer months will make for fast Fall races.  Hope your training is going well!
... be great today!

11 comments:

  1. I agree with you. It's miserable, but it teaches you to take on more. I'll be missing those training temps this summer (can't wait to be clomping around on crutches in high humidity...my hands slipping on the sticky grips...ugh). Maybe next year I'll be healthy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a long summer, friend. Hope you're better soon.

      Delete
  2. you would love Florida... 160+ pretty much 6 months out of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my wife grew up in Florida, I could definitely get into that!

      Delete
  3. That's a good way to look at our humid heat...as good training weather. I usually whine my way through summer running, only to realize in the fall that *I* don't suck, summer running is just tough. I'm going to try hard to frame it your way this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya know Kate, I think some people are wired for cooler weather, and some for hot. You're right, it's really tough - but I've just always enjoyed the challenge of the warmer temps over the cold any day. I don't like to be cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I was the only moron who liked the heat/humidity. They say running in the rain is shows dedication but heat/humidity is much tougher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think heat/humidity is tougher than altitude, although I have limited experience with that

      Delete
  6. You're just strange, Jim! Who likes running in a sauna??

    ReplyDelete


  7. Many thanks for the amazing essay I really gained a lot of info. That I was searching for

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ... your comment's always welcome!