Saturday, May 31, 2014

Nerd Stuff

If you've read my blog for a while, you know I'm sort of a "Stat Geek" & "Numbers Guy".  I'm pragmatic.  Rarely impetuous.  And I love data because it often reveals the truth about a situation that is sometimes masked by perception.  Actually, I'm pretty much an overall nerd ... in coolest sense of course.  But I love keeping statistical data, if nothing else, for comparison sake for future training.  For example, 2013 was my best running year yet.  I was definitively faster and in better shape than ever before.  So using 2013 as my baseline, I've put together a couple of side-by-side charts documenting all of my long runs from last year, and so far this year.

Why you ask?  Well that's a great questions, and thank you for the interest!  My goal is a sub 3:00 marathon in the Fall.  With that in mind, I need to be faster during 2014 summer training than I was last year when I ran a 3:10 at Richmond in November.  The two charts will basically be a quick comparison reference.  Of course this isn't a perfect system, since there are several external variables that influence my long run on the weekend such as weather, health, course, races, tapering, etc.   But from this snapshot, I should be able to draw a  reasonable conclusion of my current fitness level compared to 2013 as race day approaches.
One of the main keys, if not the single most important during training, is "Race Pace Miles" during my long run.  It's so important for me (and you too, in my opinion) to run as many miles as reasonably possible at race pace or below during training.  That way, the pace doesn't surprise me on race day, and feels completely normal because I've done it time and time again during training.  I'll watch those paces fairly closely this summer - as well as several other bits of information that most people could care less about.  But again ... I'm a nerd!
... be great today!

5 comments:

  1. I like my data too (although probably not so much as you). For yesterday's run I managed to put my HR monitor strap on the wrong way so my HR data was screwed up for the entire run. Now I'm not sure how to feel about the run. Was it good or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yeah it seems we can over evaluate the data at times

      Delete
  2. You definitely keep closer track of your miles and paces than I do (as a sporadic Daily Mile user!) and probably better than most runners. I wonder if being more detailed would help me at least avoid injury? Maybe I could look back and see patterns. The only thing I've been able to notice by comparing training cycles is that I do better when I'm not "training" - no plan except getting longer and longer runs in for marathons, and doing mild/minimal speed work once a week. Increasing my "hard" workouts burns me out. I'm way more fragile than I think I am.
    How's it working out with more faster miles? I know you aren't a fan of the long slow distance. Have you noticed a significant (chartable) change?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The faster paces work for what I want to accomplish. I think the long slower paces have their place, but I've done it for a while now, and it just seems the more miles I can put in at race pace really seems to help. And yes, when I really commit to it, it's a more effective plan for me than "just get the miles in", which works for some people.

      Delete
  3. I must admit I'm a nerd in the same way and love stats like this. I always play with my numbers and get all these meaningless results that give me hours of fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ... your comment's always welcome!