Course: Prairie Fire Marathon Course - Wichita, KS
Workout: Long Run w/Fast Finish
Total Time: 2:28:15
Avg Pace: 7:24/mile, Last 14 Miles 7:07/mile
Avg HR: 155
Elevation Gain: 386 ft
Calories Burned: 2,836
Temp: 85 Degrees, Humidity 50%, Wind 8SW
Miles This Week: 85
I had the opportunity to run 20 miles worth of the Prairie Fire Marathon course in Wichita, KS this week, and it ended up being my fastest long run ever. This is the course that I will hopefully complete Project 3:09 this October, so it was great to get a feel for how it runs. It is flat & fast! Hopefully I'll run it well in October ... and hopefully it won't be 85-90 degrees while I'm running it!
Here are my splits from the Wichita run:
Warm Up Miles 1-6: 8:48, 7:56, 7:56, 8:04, 7:56, 7:52
Miles 7-20: 7:34, 7:28, 7:14, 7:13, 7:06, 7:16, 7:05, 7:03, 7:09, 6:55, 7:07, 7:03, 7:05, 6:53
- Averaged 7:07/mile for the last 14 miles of the run, and could have been faster
- Got into faster miles quickly without using 10 miles as warm up
- Even though it was pretty warm, the pace wasn't that difficult to keep - in fact had to force myself to slow down every mile - the last 4 miles I was consistently running the first half of the mile at 6:30 before forcing myself to a slower pace
The red flags:
- I could have kept the pace for about 3 more miles, but NOT for a full marathon at this point
- Need to simulate exact early marathon pacing over and over to get used to the faster starts
- Still having trouble controlling the pace which is a sign of fatigue and poor conditioning
Luckily I still have about 10 weeks until the test for Project 3:09 to work those things out. But if I could have kept a 7:15 pace for the last 6 miles, I would have finished at 3:12 today, so I felt pretty good about that. I'm getting closer to my goal - but still a LOOOOONG way to go!
... be great today!