Saturday, March 29, 2014

Spring "A" Race In Serious Jeopardy

Like most bloggers, I try to be fairly transparent and communicate what I'm really feeling leading up to races.  If you've read for a while, you know I can be a little "confident" before a big run, but I also try to be completely forthcoming when my performance at an event is in doubt.  The upcoming Garmin Half Marathon, my Spring "A" race, would fall into the latter of those two.  With everything going on during this training cycle, I just don't think I'm probably gonna hit my goal times.

I'm still getting over this stupid bronchitis or whatever, and coughing for most of the day.  Plus, now the pollen level is sky-rocketing in Lee's Summit, so I've been battling that as well.  Mix in the non-cooperative weather for this time of year, and I'm just not getting the quality workouts I need before a run like this.

This morning's run was fairly good indicator of where I'm at right now.  At first glance, the paces look decent - about 6:40 average over 9 miles.  The problem is, I stopped about 4 times during that stretch for water and to take a gel.  I really don't think I could have held that pace without stopping.  And for this race, I actually wanted to be averaging about 6:25 for 9 miles in a run like this.  So I really feel like I'm behind schedule.

The Garmin Half Marathon is on April 26 ... exactly four weeks from today ... and I've still got A LOT of work to do.  For a race like this, I would really like to be peaking next week, but that's not gonna happen.  Now that I'm off of my prescribed drugs, I think I'll have three good weeks of workouts, and then take a really laid-back rest week before the run.  I think I can still build some fitness in those three weeks, but it's just not where I wanted to be.

I'm definitely not "throwing in the towel" on this one.  There are a lot of things I can accomplish at Garmin despite all of the setbacks.  This training has been a good springboard into the summer training.  The race will be a blast since it's here in Kansas City,  And plus, I'd still like to win my Age Group for the first time in the new 45-49 Old Man Division, and I think I've got a somewhat realistic shot at that based on previous year's times.  But the 1:25 personal best I'd targeted last year for this race is 100% out of the question.  But we'll see what happens otherwise.  Have a great weekend!
... be great today!

6 comments:

  1. I hate feeling like that going into a race, but it's definitely better to be honest with yourself now and readjust your goals accordingly than push too hard and hurt yourself. I'm sorry it was supposed to be your A race, maybe you can still pull an A- finish out of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 45 - 49 isn't old, period. Life gets in the way of goals sometimes. And what ever this crud is that is going around is a lingering SOB. I thought my cough was gone, on today's run in the woods (and then part II on the roads in the rain) it came back in a full on did I just cough up a lung mode... WTF... You are pragmatic and focused and will get where you want to get to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Runs like this one you did have led me to wonder if I can actually race a better time going hard and then taking short breaks.. of course it would require possibly wasting an A race to find out for sure.... hah.
    OK, so it looks like a good run to me. Don't overanalyze it. It's good training, and maybe NOT going harder or longer might be what put's you at PR, and not the injured list. Solid stuff.. and I see a very good 10k in there, break or no break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please ignore the apostrophe... I am not going to delete and correct, even though it's bugging me.

      Delete
  4. Having a bout of illness before a race is never good for your fitness or your confidence. At least the race is still a couple of weeks off and there's time to get back a bit (or a lot) of both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The three weeks should give you quite a lot still, but take it easy as well to be sure you don't get sick again. The race might surprise you as your legs will be fresh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ... your comment's always welcome!