Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Marathon Week Timeline

I started this blog as a way of keeping a record of my running, but also to trade ideas about training and racing with other runners.  I love reading other training logs to get new ideas and find out exactly what other folks do in preparation for a big event.  So accordingly, I try to be as detailed about my training as possible in the event anyone is interested.  So here is a fairly detailed outline of what I'm doing this last week before the Phoenix Marathon.

Sunday...
Really struggled with Trapezius pain and tightness.  No workout or running - complete rest day, although tried to stay somewhat active around the house.  Took 2 hour nap in the afternoon (ha, yeah 2 hours).  Tried to eat light with a small breakfast, moderate lunch, and a spinach salad for dinner.

Monday...
Light core workout and 3 mile jog@8:30/pace on treadmill just to loosen the legs. Saw my A.R.T. doctor in the morning about the Trap muscle.  He confirmed that I had a couple of things out of place in my shoulder, and also my hip, and adjusted.  Felt a little better throughout the day, but the pain in my upper shoulder is still preventing me from looking down and to the left.  At very light all day with a spinach and arugula salad for lunch and dinner, as well as two lean beef patties for dinner.  Stretched the legs a little in the evening.

Tuesday...
Light core workout and light treadmill run with about a mile of pickups.  Ran the 4 mile workout at 8:00/pace, 7:30/pace, a mile of pickups with a tenth of a mile at 7:30, then a tenth at 6:00/pace, then a rest mile of 8:00. Legs feel really good with good energy and health.  Absolutely no injury issues with the legs.  The shoulders are still tight, but I can look down a little easier and though the pain is still significant, it seems to be subsiding.  I'll eat very light today with two salads, and stretch throughout the day.

Wednesday...
No core workout, with very light 2-3 mile run outside, since the temperature is supposed to be a little warmer.  I'll start eating normal portions again on Wednesday, and only have one salad and focus a lot on extra lean protein -, I'll most likely have grilled salmon.  I'll stretch a lot with an emphasis on not over-stretching.

Thursday...
We'll pack and fly to Phoenix on Thursday.  I'll run through my typical core workout. Traveling will also keep me active, but with chances to nap and rest on the plane.  I'll make sure I stretch when we get to the hotel.  Also, I typically eat as much as possible two days before the run as well, but sometimes that's a challenge when traveling. I'll also try to drink as much water as I can hold.

Friday...
I'll intentionally wake up very early and go through a very very very light workout ... like literally just going through the motions.  We'll pickup packets and meet a few people, and rest a lot on Friday.  I'll really try not to nap so I can sleep that night, though it's always tough before a race.  I'll  eat a huge breakfast and lunch, and then try to eat somewhat moderately for dinner ... preferably chicken and rice.  I also lay out all my clothes and race stuff the night before so I don't have to think about it the day of the race.

So that's the plan this week.  Probably not unlike a lot of other plans out there.  The main focus is staying mentally sharp while resting.  I feel really good about the race, and expect a solid outing, although I don't think I'm quite ready for another PR.  Because of Winter, I wasn't able to put together as many strong tempo runs in training as I would've preferred, and my legs aren't quite as strong as I would like.  But at this point, I think I should be close to a Boston Qualifying time, which is 3:25 for  my age group.  If I had to predict a time, I would say somewhere between 3:15 and 3:25.  Hopefully I'll be a little faster than that, but the downhill really seems to take it's toll on me, so we'll see.  Though I think I'm in pretty good shape right now, I won't be incredibly disappointed if I run a bad race.  I really don't feel any pressure about this one.  I just want to have a good time at the marathon, and then enjoy the Baseball Spring Training for a few days.  So it should be a fun trip.
... Be Great Today!

9 comments:

  1. Gr8 Post!!! I am more excited about Spring Training Games!! Which stadiums will you hit?? Who are you pulling for team/player??? After following your blog for some time now, my own opinion here, your legs will feel just OK for the first 5 miles, miles 10-20 will be epic and your body will be clipping along at a comfortable pace, you will dig deep during the last 6 miles, and you WILL finish sub 3:10. This will happen because of your positive mind set, the winter training you put yourself through, and your weight has been dropping over the past few months. Dude, have a save trip, soak up the atmosphere, and Go Padres!!! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Padre. We are huge Royals fans, so will spend some time at surprise, but also visit some of the other stadiums. The Padres should be pretty good this year. Your new GM bought up all of the quality free agents, so that should really make a difference. The only downside I see is your outfield defense - it's brutal. But they will definitely hit. It should be a great summer for SD!

      Delete
    2. Right On KC Fans!!! I have to say this because you "gave" us Mr James. During the Tony Gwynn era we hit Spring Training every year, lived in SD,CA at the time. You are so right about the outfield and its a lot of territory out there at Pet Co. One of my biggest problems is that for years I HATED Matt Kemp as a Dodger. I can't stand anything about Smell-A!!! I didn't want him to come south, I think he is a bum, and I don't see him finishing the season strong enough. All I can do is hope to eat my words, watch him belt the ball into play at the right time, and hope he takes a leadership roll like David Justice in Moneyball. Oh, and thankful that the Smell-A Dodgers are paying for most of his contact this season. So hope you score some autographs out there and Stay Strong Brother.

      Delete
  2. Agree with above, definitely under 3:10...Glad the muscle is starting to improve, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you're in a good place for this marathon. You're fit (apart from the trap but that should improve as the week goes on) and you're not putting any unnecessary mental pressure on yourself. I think you'll enjoy the race - as much as anyone can enjoy running 26.6 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhhhhh, I agree with Gracie. ALL of your training indicates a sub 3:10! Seriously. I know we shouldn't compare or whatever but you have more mileage and similar speed work times as me and I'm going for sub 3:10 Sunday. You are ready for a huge pr! The key will be to stay with it the last 10k. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now it's almost here! Wishing you all the best. Enjoy and be great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't understand all the changes in plans over the past month or so. Tempo runs at "marathon pace" around 7mpm, then "goal pace" runs at 6:50 pace, then talking about 3:10 finishing time pacing, now between 3:15 and 3:25 and make sure a BQ is in store. Geez, no wonder there have been great runs and epic bonks in the past...set the goal, dude. Like Tia above, I don't run nearly as much as you - I hardly ever get above 40 miles per week - and overcome that by most of those miles being fast (no slow miles like you have been illustrating lately - due to peer pressure? - so I violate most marathoning rules of training), am a few years older than you, and still manage to stay near your times. I just don't see why you are waffling so much on your goal times given the long buildup. If a BQ is really the goal just say it and move on, but a bunch of 6:40 stuff and the full body workouts followed up with this talk is confusing, and I hope doesn't result in loss of motivation when things get hard on the course. Good luck, regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, sounds like you are going to have a GREAT race. Best wishes, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ... your comment's always welcome!