Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My Body Thinks I'm A Hater!

A while ago, someone commented, "Do you ever have a bad run?" ... 'cause all I write about are the good ones!  That's true I suppose to an extent ... I mean I probably do subconsciously try to paint myself as a Super-Stud! (C'mon, I'm a 42 year old grandfather who's losing hair and gaining freckles ... so I'm trying every trick I know!!!)  That being said ... lately my runs have been "not great"!!!
Do any of you remember Rod Smart from the short lived XFL?  His name on the back of his jersey was "He Hate Me" ... kinda stupid, but kinda funny too.  Well I think my legs are beginning to take up the "He Hate Me" cause!  They seem to be rebelling against all the mileage I'm running.   I'm still getting the miles in mind you ... 1,804 as of this morning ... and thankfully, no injuries to speak of.  But I'm just really "dead legged" lately.

I had a good weekend as far as mileage goes with 16 on Saturday ... 18 on Sunday ... 16 on Monday - but they were REALLY tough to get through.  The 82 degrees and 91% humidity average conditions were partly the cause ... but at this point I would expect the runs to be a little easier.  My pace is not bad, but overall it's just a struggle.

We'll see how this week goes!  Have a good one!
... be great today!

14 comments:

  1. Just be careful, you're might be the most fit person I know so don't be afraid to back off for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your miles are crazy! If you're dead legged...STOP and eat some PIZZA :) Take a break, super stud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go through phases where I have many bad runs but once I'm through that I'm usually stronger than before. Take care not to push hard during these runs. just get them done as comfortably as possible. You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I have a couple of bad runs in a row, I take a day or two break if I'm not training for a race that is. That usually gives me the rest I need and then my next runs are usually pretty good and I'm back in the swing of things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, I am LAUGHING at Christina :)

    this time of year just plain sucks. the heat and humidity take more out of me than anything else - more than I usually give it credit for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother - it's the weather and not you.

    There is no doubt that we slow down to about an average of 10% slower and a 10bpm higher HR.

    Take it in stride and hydrate properly before, during and after. Be sure to recover with 4:1 Carb:Protein within 30 minutes after and then a good meal 2 hours later and your body will thank you and you will be:

    THEY LOVE ME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's much more fun to write about the good ones than the bad ones, that's for sure. But remember that you and everyone else learn more from the bad ones!

    I hate those dead-leg phases--I had one myself last Saturday. But they do pass and often when you least expect it. There's nothing wrong with step-back weeks, either, so easing off might help....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like your legs need a margarita. Take a break, man!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Miles! I am with you on the crappy runs. I seem to have one good week and one bad week lately. Just really sucks huh?

    I agree with Christina though you are a super stud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to hear about your good runs, I would say 90% of training you read about only focus on the negative, your posts are a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol at Christina's post - I agree!

    I also agree with Coy, you are the fittest person I know. Maybe just dial the distance and intensity back a bit for a week to see if your legs respond - 16, 18, 16 in a 3 day span will make anyone's legs feel dead - except if you are Dean Karnazes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jim or should I say super Jim? it is the weather...hello 91% humidity...most people cannot MOVE...they just sit and drink...
    please give super Jim a break!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have yet to read anything to indicate you are anything but immortal. OK, maybe that's an overstatement, but you are a very good runner when it's not 90 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like the heat, the humidity and the mileage are all taking their toll. Maybe time for a cut-back week to freshen them up again?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ... your comment's always welcome!