Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Plyometrics: Good For Weak Butts

RANDOM NOTE: If you like the Foo Fighters, and why wouldn't you, I just downloaded "Something From Nothing" ... you should check it out ... rock on.

Ya know in Napoleon Dynamite when he's looking for Chapstick because his "lips hurt real bad"?  Well ... my butt hurts REAL BAD!!! And I have pro fitness model (I think that's her correct title) Melissa from www.melissacunninghamifpapro.blogspot.com  to blame.  I've read her blog over the years, and the woman is probably the fittest person I follow.  Recently she sent me a new Plyometric Workout to try.  It's been 24 hours since I completed it.  It hurts to sit down. Well, it's not quite that bad, but I definitely got a good workout.

As with most Plyo work, it included a lot of jumping, squatting, and lateral movements, which are great for the glutes and hips.  I do a ton of hip specific work, but probably neglect my glutes a little, which is not good for a runner.  Hips and glutes help generate power and speed, and strong healthy muscles in these areas are a must.  And I knew about half-way through Melissa's workout that I was going to feel it the next day.

For a while now, I've tried to do some sort of Plyo work on Mondays, one of my non-running days.  But my workout  usually only consists of some box jumps, toe taps, and a few other movements that I've become comfortable with.  Changing up the routine really isolated and activated some areas that I haven't hit in a while.  And although my backside is a little tight now, I know it will help me be a stronger runner as I make it part of my routine.

As runners, it's easy to get in the rut of "running in straight line" for all of our exercise.  But I found that when I really started to increase my lateral and explosive movements, largely from Plyometrics, I gained overall strength and stability, and became a better runner.  Maybe it will work for you too.
... Be Great Today!

4 comments:

  1. So, I'm probably doing it wrong, but plyo anything lands me injured in no time flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have to be really really careful with my form, and make sure my muscles are completely hot or I run it the same issue

      Delete
  2. You're welcome!Glad I could help!!!!
    : )
    You hit the nail on the hand when you mentioned that runners can get caught in the "running in a straight line " rut. Plyos are indeed a good change up but proper form is key to remain injury free.
    I did plyos as active rest between set at the gym today and I can already tell I will be sore later!
    It's all good though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, you make me tired every time I read one of your posts. I will have to try this out. I have had friends do it and have much success. Best to you man.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ... your comment's always welcome!